At least 4,300 people have been killed and thousands of buildings reduced to rubble after a devastating earthquake of 7.8-magnitude struck Turkey and Syria, even as rescuers try to look for survivors. It is believed that the toll might increase further as the rescue operation goes on. At least 2,921 people were confirmed dead in Turkey, the Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD) said, and 1,444 in Syria, according to figures from the Damascus government and rescue workers. Thousands more were injured, with the death toll expected to rise. Dozens of nations pledged aid after the 7.8-magnitude quake, which hit as people were still sleeping and amid freezing weather that has hampered emergency efforts.
- After a brief pause due to low temperatures overnight, rescue operations pick up pace as search for survivors continue.
- So far, the confirmed death toll has crossed 4,300, but it is expected to rise soon as more sites are searched in the wide area
- According to Turkey’s disaster agency AFAD, more than 2,600 personnel from 65 countries have been sent to the disaster area to assist Turkish rescuers
- As many as 300,000 blankets and over 41,00 family tents have been delivered
- Thousands of buildings have collapsed after the 7.8 magnitude quake near Gaziantep, Turkey, hit in the early hours of Monday while people were asleep
Turkey deployed around 13,000 rescue personnel to the earthquake zone on Tuesday as rescue efforts intensify in the aftermath of the devastating quake.
Istanbul Governor Ali Yerlikaya said the team, comprising staff and volunteers, have been sent particularly to the Hatay province, which suffered the most on Monday.
The runway at Hatay Airport was split into two after the 7.8-magnitude tremor.